David Siemer Discusses 2012 Ad Network M&A and IPO Trends with MergerMarket
Ad Networks Aim for 2012 IPOs, but Many Will Be Forced to Sell, Bankers Say
- Video and mobile ad networks may have best IPO prospects
- Collective, Undertone and Tribal Fusion of scale to sell
By Sarah Cohen, Stuart Newman and Monique Lewis in New York; and Louise Bleakley in San Francisco for MergerMarket
New York, NY and San Francisco, CA (January 18, 2012) ─ A clutch of USD 100m-plus revenue ad networking companies are on track to finally find an exit in 2012, four industry bankers said.
Many of these have their sights on a public offering, but will likely be forced down the sale path because of uncertainty in the public markets, two of the bankers said.
Leading candidates for a public offering will be companies with more than USD 100m in revenue and growth in the 30-40% range, Siemer and Associates Managing Director David Siemer said. Several ad networking companies are already rumored to be working with underwriters, Siemer said.
Two other bankers were less optimistic about IPO prospects. The markets are risky, they argued. The debuts of Groupon, Zynga and Renren were “underperforming” if not “disappointing,” said the first banker. The only certain IPO activity is Facebook’s in the second quarter, and it would be foolish to attempt anything until it goes public, he added.
That said, some ad networks have reached scale in terms of revenue and consistent profitability, their venture backers have been in them for a long time and may be pressuring companies for an exit, the second banker said. Adconion, Adknowledge, Collective Media, Specific Media, Tremor Video, Undertone, Tribal Fusion and YuMe were all high on the bankers’ lists of likely sale or IPO transactions.
Many ad networks, such as Adknowledge, Tremor Video and Specific Media were rumored to have been planning for an IPO as early as 2009, according to reports by this news service. Others like Collective, Undertone and Tribal Fusion are targets that have the scale to attract buyers, said the second banker.
Still, not all ad networks are created equally. Some are display ad networks, an older technology which has already undergone considerable consolidation. This sector of digital advertising experienced a flurry of deals years ago when the likes of AOL, Google and Microsoft purchased companies, said the second banker. The number of auctions and the universe of potential ad network buyers since dropped. Late in 2011, Yahoo agreed to acquire Interclick for USD 270m. Interclick had “one other bidder” coming from an “unexpected” area of technology, the banker said. This company has yet to acquire an ad network.
Collective and Specific are examples of display ad networks. Private equity firms such as Spectrum Equity, Welsh Carson Anderson & Stowe, Summit Equity, TA Associates and General Atlantic are the most likely buyers in the display ad network space, the second banker said, since most strategics have already placed their bets.
Millennial Media, which recently filed to go public, is one of the remaining independent mobile ad networks. Others are AdMob, acquired by Google for USD 750m in 2009 and Quattro Wireless, acquired by Apple for USD 250m in 2010. Video ad networks with scale are Tremor, YuMe and Brightroll.
Mobile and video ad network business is experiencing quarter-to-quarter double-digit growth as more people watch online video, said YuMe CEO Jayant Kadambi. Consumers are also expected to make a “massive push” into connected and smart tvs and advertisers will “need a way to monetize” these upcoming products.
“It’s not about being an ad network,” said Tremor CEO Bill Day. “It’s about proprietary technology that determines buyer interest. This points toward video and mobile.”
Large Internet concerns with video investments, like AOL, Microsoft, Google and Yahoo may want to acquire video ad networks, said Kadambi. Others could be advertising concerns like Publicis and WPP who prefer to buy rather than build an ad network to gain immediate access to an audience with scale. A third banker said MDC Partners might also look to acquire capabilities.
YuMe and Tremor are focused on execution this coming year, but both believe the IPO market is valid for growth companies, Kadambi and Day said.
The ad networking industry is dominated by AOL, with Advertising.com, Google, with DoubleClick and Yahoo, which is undergoing a strategic evaluation process. The market is fragmented, with estimates of perhaps 400 startups. Private equity firms have been active in ad networks, and late last year BrightRoll, YuMe and Tremor Video raised late-stage funding rounds.
Ad networks are coming under pressure because publishers are beginning to develop their own networks to get higher CPMs (cost per mille) rather than allowing ad networks to sell their inventory, the third banker said. “There are going to be some losers, a few will IPO at some point, but I think right now there is a lot of doubt in people’s minds about the viability of ad networks in the long term,” he said.
- Managing Director Ivan Nikkhoo Discusses Launch of Google Capital With IDG
- David Siemer Speaks on Keynote Roundtable at Red Herring 2013 Top 100 North America Conference
- Ivan Nikkhoo Writes About Raising Growth Capital for SoCalTech
- John Rudolph Speaks on Music Branding and Commerce Panel at Digital Hollywood
- David Siemer Speaks on What It Takes to Get Funded Today Panel at DMW Games
- Ivan Nikkhoo Speaks About Declining PC Sales with CNN
- Dan Chen Speaks on Yale in Hollywood Entertainment Conference Panel
- Siemer & Associates Releases Q1 2013 Siemer Mobile Report
- Dan Chen Speaks on Finance Panel at DMW Music 2013
- Siemer & Associates Advises TapIt! on its Sale to Phunware, Inc.
- Ivan Nikkhoo, Managing Director of Siemer & Associates LLC, Joins Digital Jersey Board of Directors
- David Siemer Honored as Power Player at AlwaysOn’s OnHollywood 2012 Private Dinner
- Siemer & Associates Advisor, John Rudolph, Speaks with Bloomberg TV on Apple’s Streaming Radio Service
- Martin Lichauco to Judge ON3 Nationals Hosted by STAC Silicon Valley
- Ivan Nikkhoo to Speak on Mobile Video Market at OnMobile 2012
- David Siemer Highlighted in 89.3 KPCC Article that Discusses VC Investing Concerns
- Siemer & Associates Sponsors PWC’s Shaking the MoneyTree Report, Hosted by LAVA
- David Siemer Speaks on Valuing and Financing Entertainment Content Panel at Digital Hollywood Spring
- Siemer & Associates LLC Expands Operations with the Addition of Dan Chen as Managing Director
- David Siemer Interviewed by Forbes: Investment Dollars for Start-Ups: Who’s Getting the Cash?
- Siemer & Associates and Siemer Ventures Launch WaveMaker Labs, a Singapore-based Technology Incubator Certified by the Singaporean Government
- Martin Lichauco Discusses Telecom Incubators with the Philippine Daily Inquirer
- David Siemer Discusses Capital Market Trends in Mergermarket’s Deal Drivers Americas 2011 Report
- Siemer & Associates LLC Advises Fetch Technologies on its Sale to Connotate
- Martin Lichauco to Present on Cross-Border Transactions for Lex Mundi in Manila
- David Siemer Discusses “Four Pitfalls that Sabotage Startup Growth” with SandHill.com
- Ivan Nikkhoo to Serve as Judge at USC Global Consulting Challenge
- Ivan Nikkhoo Serves on Early Stage Financing Panel
- David Siemer Discusses Global VC Trends with KPCC’s DeBord Report
- David Siemer Discusses 2012 Ad Network M&A and IPO Trends with MergerMarket
- David Siemer Interviewed in Hollyisco: 2012 M&A and Venture Capital Trends
- Ivan Nikkhoo Serves on Panel at Venture Summit Silicon Valley 2011
- Siemer & Associates LLC Publishes Q3 Digital Media and Software M&A Activity Exit Report
- Adconion Media Group Makes Global ‘Land Grab’ for Video Advertising Market
- Ivan Nikkhoo Serves on Private Equity in the New Economy Panel
- Ivan Nikkhoo Speaks at Los Angeles October AlmaSession
- David Siemer and Martin Lichauco to Judge Infant Companies at Startup Weekend Manila
- Ivan Nikkhoo Sits on YPO Mobile Technology Summit Panel
- Siemer Silicon Beach Summit Featured in Los Angeles Business Journal Article
- Siemer & Associates Advises mDialog on $5 Million in Series A Investment from Blackberry Partners Fund
- Siemer Silicon Beach Summit Highlighted in Investor’s Business Daily Article
- Siemer & Associates Publishes Fall 2011 Mobile Landscape Report
- Siemer Silicon Beach Summit Featured in Hollyisco
- Siemer & Associates Sponsors PWC’s Shaking the MoneyTree Report, Hosted by LAVA
- Martin Lichauco Featured in Asian Venture Capital Journal
- Morphlabs Raises $5 Million in Series C Financing
- Siemer & Associates Publishes Online Advertising Landscape Report
- Siemer & Associates and Frontera Group Join Forces to Form Siemer Ventures
- Ivan Nikkhoo Featured in Los Angeles Business Journal Article
- David Siemer Featured in Mergermarket Article
- Siemer & Associates LLC Extends Reach to Asia with Hong Kong Office, Hires Martin Lichauco as Managing Director ─ July 21, 2011
- Ivan Nikkhoo Elected to Los Angeles Venture Association (LAVA) Board of Directors
- Siemer & Associates Advises GoTV Networks, Inc. on its Sale to Phunware, Inc. ─ July 12, 2011
- Siemer & Associates LLC Provides Financial Advisory Services to Dedicated Media
- David Siemer Featured in Los Angeles Business Journal Article
- Siemer & Associates Sponsors L.A. Dealmakers’ Summer Soirée 2011 on July 21
- Siemer & Associates LLC Advises Pringo, Inc. on its Merger with MobileBits Holdings Corp. ─ July 1, 2011
- Ivan Nikkhoo to Moderate Panel at LAVA Investment Capital Conference 2011 ─ June 22, 2011
- Siemer & Associates LLC Advises Countdown Media LP on its Sale to Bug Music, Inc. ─ June 14, 2011
- Siemer & Associates Sponsors PwC’s Shaking the MoneyTree ─ May 26, 2011
- Shoedazzle Receives New Investment Round; Siemer & Associates Advises — May 18, 2011
- Siemer Ventures Makes Second Investment in Ranker – April 4, 2011
- Siemer Ventures Invests in Marketfish – January 10, 2011
- Siemer Ventures Invests in Morphlabs, Inc. – January 4, 2011
- Siemer & Associates Sponsors Digital Hollywood: Fall – October 18-21, 2010
- Siemer Ventures Invests in Phunware – October 15, 2010
- Siemer & Associates Sponsors Charity Ball for Kiva – May 15, 2010
- Siemer & Associates Will Be At Digital Hollywood: Spring – May 3-6 2010
- Siemer Ventures Invests in Ranker – April 26, 2010
- Siemer & Associates Announces the Hiring of Jonathan Roth as a Director
- David Siemer Speaks at SXSW 2010 – March 13th, 2010
- See David Siemer Speak At CES 2010
- Siemer & Associates Announces the Hiring of Michael Mizrahi as an Analyst
- Siemer & Associates Announces the Hiring of Garrett Taylor as an Analyst
- Siemer & Associates Advises Levelvision: College on its Sale to Visser Digital Media
- David Siemer Selected as Speaker at CES 2009
- Siemer Ventures Announce Investment in Xcast Labs
- Siemer & Associates Advises Adengage on its Sale to Technorati
- Lockheed Martin Completes Acquisition of Aculight Corporation
- Shelfari Joins the Amazon.com Family
- Siemer & Associates Announces Office Move
- WidgetBucks Secures $10 Million to Expand Internet’s Fastest Growing Ad Network
- J.D. Power and Associates Acquires Umbria Inc.; Expands Voice of the Customer Research Capabilities on the Web
- Answerology Sold to Hearst Magazines Online Q&A Community Platform to be Integrated Into Hearst’s Sites
- TurnHere Secures $7.5M in Venture Capital Funding from Venrock and Hearst Interactive Media
- Covario, Inc. (Formerly SEMDirector) Raises $16 Million B Round led by FTVentures
- WPP Acquires Blast Radius
- WPP Acquires Marketing Leader, Schematic
- CBS Buys SignStorey
- Thomson Acquires Distributor
- Corporate Executive Board Completes Acquisition of ITtoolbox, Extends Service with the Addition of a Professional Online Community
- The Walt Disney Company Acquires Club Penguin
- Hearst Corporation to Acquire UGO Networks: Deal Signifies Hearst’s First Major Step Into Digital Entertainment
- Jupitermedia Announces Acquisition of Mediabistro.com Online Community and Job Board Serving Media & Creative Professionals
- Pulvermedia Recapitalized with Debt by Technology Investment Capital Corp.
- Vantage Media Secures Series A Financing of $70 Million
- Fidelity National Real Estate Solutions Announces Acquisition of Go Apply
- Story Worldwide Taps Private Equity from Seaport Capital to Merge with Byte Interactive
- Hearst Magazines Announces Acquisition of eCRUSH.COM, Inc.
- Data Company Finalizes $134m Takeover of Opinion Research Corporation
- « Older Entries