News Corporation to Acquire Intermix Media, Inc.
Acquisition Includes World’s Fastest-Growing Social Networking Portal, MySpace.com
July 18, 2005 (Los Angeles, CA) – News Corporation announced today that it signed a definitive agreement to acquire Intermix Media, Inc. for approximately $580 million in cash, or the equivalent of $12 per common share. In a separate transaction, Intermix announced today that it exercised its option to acquire the 47 percent of MySpace.com that it does not already own. MySpace.com is the leading lifestyle portal for networking online. Both MySpace.com and Intermix’s more than 30 sites will become part of News Corporation’s newly formed Fox Interactive Media unit.
The acquisition of Intermix, combined with the recently announced formation of Fox Interactive Media, underscores News Corporation’s commitment to expand its internet presence by offering a deeper, richer online experience for its millions of users.
With the addition of MySpace, and Intermix’s network of sites, News Corporation’s U.S. web traffic will nearly double to more than 45 million unique monthly users, putting the Company in the top echelon of most trafficked content sites on the Internet today. The Intermix network of sites is the largest multi-category online entertainment network with more than 27 million unique monthly users. Intermix’s group of entertainment, humor, gaming and social networking sites has become the leading network for shareable digital entertainment such as pictures, music and video.
Launched less than two years ago, MySpace.com is the fifth ranked web domain in terms of page views according to comScore Media Metrix. Integrating web profiles, blogs, instant messaging, e-mail, music downloads, photo galleries, classified listings, events, groups, chatrooms, and user forums, MySpace.com has created a connected community where users put their lives online. As a result, MySpace.com is a favorite with online advertisers – in June the site served more than 8 percent of all ads on the Internet, putting it in the company of Web giants Yahoo!, Google and AOL. It has also become a key music destination, with more than 350,000 bands and artists – including REM, the Black Eyed Peas and Weezer – having used the site to launch new albums and enable users to sample and share songs.
One of Intermix’s popular web sites is grab.com, a premier gaming and entertainment site that integrates social networking, community features, and viral entertainment. Intermix augments its content properties through its analytical optimization e-commerce division – Alena.
“Intermix is an important acquisition for News Corp., instantly doubling the number of visitors to our sites and providing an ideal foundation on which to meaningfully increase our internet presence,” said News Corporation’s Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Rupert Murdoch. “Intermix’s brands, such as MySpace.com, are some of the web’s hottest properties and resonate with the same audiences that are most attracted to Fox’s news, sports and entertainment offerings. We see a great opportunity to combine the popularity of Intermix’s sites, particularly MySpace, with our existing online assets to provide a richer experience for today’s internet users.”
The transaction is expected to close in the 4th quarter of calendar 2005. The transaction is subject to certain customary conditions including approval of the Intermix common and preferred stockholders.
In a related transaction, News Corporation announced that it entered into a voting agreement with VantagePoint Venture Partners, the largest stockholder of Intermix. The agreement provides that VantagePoint will vote its shares, representing approximately 22.4 percent of the outstanding shares of Intermix, in favor of the transaction.
“We are very excited to combine our unique Internet reach and assets with one of the most exciting media companies in the world. We look forward to continuing to lead the market in unique content, social networking, and analytical marketing,” said Richard Rosenblatt, Intermix Media’s CEO.
About News Corporation
News Corporation (NYSE: NWS, NWS.A; ASX: NWS, NWSLV) had total assets as of March 31, 2005 of approximately US$56 billion and total annual revenues of approximately US$23 billion. News Corporation is a diversified international media and entertainment company with operations in eight industry segments: filmed entertainment; television; cable network programming; direct broadcast satellite television; magazines and inserts; newspapers; book publishing; and other. The activities of News Corporation are conducted principally in the United States, Continental Europe, the United Kingdom, Australia, Asia and the Pacific Basin.
A leading online media and ecommerce enterprise, Intermix Media (Amex: MIX) and its subsidiaries utilize proprietary technologies and analytical marketing to develop unique content, an active community and innovative ecommerce offerings. The Intermix Network blends user-generated and proprietary online content to motivate its users to spend more time on its Network and to invite their friends to join them. By integrating social networking applications, self-publishing and viral marketing, the Intermix Network has grown to over 27 million unique visitors per month. Intermix also leverages its optimization technologies, marketing methodologies and the Internet through its Alena unit, where it launches branded consumer product offerings. Alena expands Intermix’s consumer reach by marketing select high margin and innovative products directly to the consumer across the Internet. In doing so, Alena cost-effectively builds consumer brands and drives new users back to the Intermix Network.
- Managing Director Ivan Nikkhoo Discusses Launch of Google Capital With IDG
- David Siemer Speaks on Keynote Roundtable at Red Herring 2013 Top 100 North America Conference
- Ivan Nikkhoo Writes About Raising Growth Capital for SoCalTech
- John Rudolph Speaks on Music Branding and Commerce Panel at Digital Hollywood
- David Siemer Speaks on What It Takes to Get Funded Today Panel at DMW Games
- Ivan Nikkhoo Speaks About Declining PC Sales with CNN
- Dan Chen Speaks on Yale in Hollywood Entertainment Conference Panel
- Siemer & Associates Releases Q1 2013 Siemer Mobile Report
- Dan Chen Speaks on Finance Panel at DMW Music 2013
- Siemer & Associates Advises TapIt! on its Sale to Phunware, Inc.
- Ivan Nikkhoo, Managing Director of Siemer & Associates LLC, Joins Digital Jersey Board of Directors
- David Siemer Honored as Power Player at AlwaysOn’s OnHollywood 2012 Private Dinner
- Siemer & Associates Advisor, John Rudolph, Speaks with Bloomberg TV on Apple’s Streaming Radio Service
- Martin Lichauco to Judge ON3 Nationals Hosted by STAC Silicon Valley
- Ivan Nikkhoo to Speak on Mobile Video Market at OnMobile 2012
- David Siemer Highlighted in 89.3 KPCC Article that Discusses VC Investing Concerns
- Siemer & Associates Sponsors PWC’s Shaking the MoneyTree Report, Hosted by LAVA
- David Siemer Speaks on Valuing and Financing Entertainment Content Panel at Digital Hollywood Spring
- Siemer & Associates LLC Expands Operations with the Addition of Dan Chen as Managing Director
- David Siemer Interviewed by Forbes: Investment Dollars for Start-Ups: Who’s Getting the Cash?
- Siemer & Associates and Siemer Ventures Launch WaveMaker Labs, a Singapore-based Technology Incubator Certified by the Singaporean Government
- Martin Lichauco Discusses Telecom Incubators with the Philippine Daily Inquirer
- David Siemer Discusses Capital Market Trends in Mergermarket’s Deal Drivers Americas 2011 Report
- Siemer & Associates LLC Advises Fetch Technologies on its Sale to Connotate
- Martin Lichauco to Present on Cross-Border Transactions for Lex Mundi in Manila
- David Siemer Discusses “Four Pitfalls that Sabotage Startup Growth” with SandHill.com
- Ivan Nikkhoo to Serve as Judge at USC Global Consulting Challenge
- Ivan Nikkhoo Serves on Early Stage Financing Panel
- David Siemer Discusses Global VC Trends with KPCC’s DeBord Report
- David Siemer Discusses 2012 Ad Network M&A and IPO Trends with MergerMarket
- David Siemer Interviewed in Hollyisco: 2012 M&A and Venture Capital Trends
- Ivan Nikkhoo Serves on Panel at Venture Summit Silicon Valley 2011
- Siemer & Associates LLC Publishes Q3 Digital Media and Software M&A Activity Exit Report
- Adconion Media Group Makes Global ‘Land Grab’ for Video Advertising Market
- Ivan Nikkhoo Serves on Private Equity in the New Economy Panel
- Ivan Nikkhoo Speaks at Los Angeles October AlmaSession
- David Siemer and Martin Lichauco to Judge Infant Companies at Startup Weekend Manila
- Ivan Nikkhoo Sits on YPO Mobile Technology Summit Panel
- Siemer Silicon Beach Summit Featured in Los Angeles Business Journal Article
- Siemer & Associates Advises mDialog on $5 Million in Series A Investment from Blackberry Partners Fund
- Siemer Silicon Beach Summit Highlighted in Investor’s Business Daily Article
- Siemer & Associates Publishes Fall 2011 Mobile Landscape Report
- Siemer Silicon Beach Summit Featured in Hollyisco
- Siemer & Associates Sponsors PWC’s Shaking the MoneyTree Report, Hosted by LAVA
- Martin Lichauco Featured in Asian Venture Capital Journal
- Morphlabs Raises $5 Million in Series C Financing
- Siemer & Associates Publishes Online Advertising Landscape Report
- Siemer & Associates and Frontera Group Join Forces to Form Siemer Ventures
- Ivan Nikkhoo Featured in Los Angeles Business Journal Article
- David Siemer Featured in Mergermarket Article
- Siemer & Associates LLC Extends Reach to Asia with Hong Kong Office, Hires Martin Lichauco as Managing Director ─ July 21, 2011
- Ivan Nikkhoo Elected to Los Angeles Venture Association (LAVA) Board of Directors
- Siemer & Associates Advises GoTV Networks, Inc. on its Sale to Phunware, Inc. ─ July 12, 2011
- Siemer & Associates LLC Provides Financial Advisory Services to Dedicated Media
- David Siemer Featured in Los Angeles Business Journal Article
- Siemer & Associates Sponsors L.A. Dealmakers’ Summer Soirée 2011 on July 21
- Siemer & Associates LLC Advises Pringo, Inc. on its Merger with MobileBits Holdings Corp. ─ July 1, 2011
- Ivan Nikkhoo to Moderate Panel at LAVA Investment Capital Conference 2011 ─ June 22, 2011
- Siemer & Associates LLC Advises Countdown Media LP on its Sale to Bug Music, Inc. ─ June 14, 2011
- Siemer & Associates Sponsors PwC’s Shaking the MoneyTree ─ May 26, 2011
- Shoedazzle Receives New Investment Round; Siemer & Associates Advises — May 18, 2011
- Siemer Ventures Makes Second Investment in Ranker – April 4, 2011
- Siemer Ventures Invests in Marketfish – January 10, 2011
- Siemer Ventures Invests in Morphlabs, Inc. – January 4, 2011
- Siemer & Associates Sponsors Digital Hollywood: Fall – October 18-21, 2010
- Siemer Ventures Invests in Phunware – October 15, 2010
- Siemer & Associates Sponsors Charity Ball for Kiva – May 15, 2010
- Siemer & Associates Will Be At Digital Hollywood: Spring – May 3-6 2010
- Siemer Ventures Invests in Ranker – April 26, 2010
- Siemer & Associates Announces the Hiring of Jonathan Roth as a Director
- David Siemer Speaks at SXSW 2010 – March 13th, 2010
- See David Siemer Speak At CES 2010
- Siemer & Associates Announces the Hiring of Michael Mizrahi as an Analyst
- Siemer & Associates Announces the Hiring of Garrett Taylor as an Analyst
- Siemer & Associates Advises Levelvision: College on its Sale to Visser Digital Media
- David Siemer Selected as Speaker at CES 2009
- Siemer Ventures Announce Investment in Xcast Labs
- Siemer & Associates Advises Adengage on its Sale to Technorati
- Lockheed Martin Completes Acquisition of Aculight Corporation
- Shelfari Joins the Amazon.com Family
- Siemer & Associates Announces Office Move
- WidgetBucks Secures $10 Million to Expand Internet’s Fastest Growing Ad Network
- J.D. Power and Associates Acquires Umbria Inc.; Expands Voice of the Customer Research Capabilities on the Web
- Answerology Sold to Hearst Magazines Online Q&A Community Platform to be Integrated Into Hearst’s Sites
- TurnHere Secures $7.5M in Venture Capital Funding from Venrock and Hearst Interactive Media
- Covario, Inc. (Formerly SEMDirector) Raises $16 Million B Round led by FTVentures
- WPP Acquires Blast Radius
- WPP Acquires Marketing Leader, Schematic
- CBS Buys SignStorey
- Thomson Acquires Distributor
- Corporate Executive Board Completes Acquisition of ITtoolbox, Extends Service with the Addition of a Professional Online Community
- The Walt Disney Company Acquires Club Penguin
- Hearst Corporation to Acquire UGO Networks: Deal Signifies Hearst’s First Major Step Into Digital Entertainment
- Jupitermedia Announces Acquisition of Mediabistro.com Online Community and Job Board Serving Media & Creative Professionals
- Pulvermedia Recapitalized with Debt by Technology Investment Capital Corp.
- Vantage Media Secures Series A Financing of $70 Million
- Fidelity National Real Estate Solutions Announces Acquisition of Go Apply
- Story Worldwide Taps Private Equity from Seaport Capital to Merge with Byte Interactive
- Hearst Magazines Announces Acquisition of eCRUSH.COM, Inc.
- Data Company Finalizes $134m Takeover of Opinion Research Corporation
- « Older Entries